Nov 21st 2010
Flag This
Next Question » « Prior Question
I'm self employed and curious if there are any benefits to forming a corporation? If so, which state should I form the corporation in for tax purposes?
3 Answers - Answer by Chucks

Recent Answers   (3)

It depends if you want to open an LLC, C-Corp or S-Corp. Every structure has its own advantages and disadvantages. I also don't think you can really 'avoid' any taxes by filing in another state than your own. If you're doing business in your state, you will have to be registered there, so there's no way around. A good service for setting this up is, though they are not lawyers. You may want to review your situation with a lawyer to see what structure works best for you. And then you can use Legalzoom to actually file the paperwork. It's usually pretty fast.

Also for social security (pretty sure) you are paying both parts with self-employment, whereas with some other business entity, you only pay the employee portion. The corporation pays the other part.

You need a good accountant, since they are the ones that know how provide you with the benefits that go with the added complications. They can advise you better on the structure, and you will need them to file your taxes when you do have it set up. They will probably tell you to use an S-Corp which allows loses to benefit you personally as the shareholder.

Add Answer See All Answers
300x250 KissRejection v3
Find Deductions For Your Taxes

It’s that time of year again – tax time! Here are some things to think about when preparing your tax return. The standard deduction for 2010 is $5,700 for single taxpayers and $8,400 for head of household. If your itemized deductions exceed these amou… Read More ›
Featured Resources

Personal Growth
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Stella’s Pick
Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work
by Matthew McKay